An Account Manager should have a firm understanding of how PR fits into marketing communications, including how elements support each other to maximise cut through. Knowledge of digital communications is paramount. The role requires the ability to manage campaigns and projects concurrently so flexibility is key. An Account Manager needs to ensure there is a robust planning process in place and is responsible for ensuring client accounts and junior team members are managed effectively to deliver successful programmes. Excellent writing skills are required. Self-sufficiency and self-motivation are needed, along with a proactive, can-do attitude which inspires and motivates others within their teams. Effective client management skills are essential with Account Managers liaising with and providing counsel to stakeholders at a range of levels. Confidence and tenacity will add value, as will a hunger to seek out new business, whether through organic client growth or through networking to find new prospects. Account Managers should also be curious, always looking for new ideas and opportunities, with good listening and observation skills.
Purpose of Role
Manage and implement PR plans to meet clients’ needs. Act as a line manager to the team. Plan and ensure completion of performance and career reviews and action follow through. To provide support and suggestions to Account Directors.
- Create and develop documents for clients including facilitator documents, bio/fact sheets media materials and proposals as well as working with relevant specialists to produce rich visual content (videos/photographs etc). Contribute to strategic plans, proposals and issues documents to support client objectives
- Develop and manage media relationships, utilising these contacts to sell in to key media targets.
- Provide input and manage the implementation of new and existing campaigns, identify and plan PR events. Run and participate in creative brainstorms.
- Support Account Directors and take ownership in driving media campaigns to help surpass the client’s expectations.
- Think ahead, prepare for and anticipate issues and challenges to projects, highlighting critical consideration to the team leader.
- Review team’s work and provide constructive feedback on the quality of the work. Take positive and timely action to address and re-align work to client objectives.
- Continuously develop an understanding of Ketchum, Ketchum’s clients and their sectors, the media and the competitive environment.
- Proactively strengthen the client relationship through day to day contact and added value activities. Participate in client meetings and updates on specific areas of responsibility.
- Demonstrate a growing skill of client counsel and strategic input.
- Conduct post campaign evaluation, highlighting strengths and identify opportunities to develop future campaigns and projects.
- Identify areas of interest to client and proactively share information and suggestions
- Manage and take proactive steps to maximise client profitability through accurate budgeting and staff utilisation reporting.
- Provide team with accurate forecasts for budget estimates and project work, bring to attention any under/over servicing, staffing issues.
- Submit all timesheets in a punctual and accurate manner.
- Explore opportunities to work on additional projects for existing clients and negotiate budgets for project work.
- Negotiate with journalists, specialists and key opinion leaders on behalf of the client.
- Manage and take proactive steps to update client budgets for campaigns and events.
- Provide support and input for proposal and pitch documents.
- Actively participate in new business pitch teams through all stages of the RISC.
- Proactively identify and grow opportunities for organic growth and new business with existing clients
- Develop line management skills - conducting performance reviews, objective setting and career and development planning as well as regular one to ones with all direct reports.
- Act as a mentor to junior colleagues and lead by example.
- Regularly engage in dialogue with colleagues to ensure an accurate view and understanding of their workload, priorities, deadlines and overall well being
- Maintain regular communication with junior team members ensuring the team operates in most effective and efficient way to meet client needs. Provide advice and constructive feedback on teams work.
- Act as a coach and mentor to junior colleagues, creating a collaborative environment that encourages productive team relationships.
- Conduct interviews for prospective candidates; use the recruitment process to enhance the reputation of Ketchum.
Administration and Reporting:
- Prepare and deliver monthly budget reports and status reports
- Provide support and guidance to juniors on the completion of all administration on the account.
- Manage teams and business in compliance with all legal, financial, HR and other company policies and procedures