An Account Executive should have knowledge of how PR works to achieve client objectives, and some knowledge of how this fits within overall brand communications. The position requires proficient communication skills, whether written or verbal with colleagues and other stakeholders, including clients, at a range of levels. Account Executives should understand what constitutes a good news story. Strong organisation skills and flexibility are required in order to handle several projects concurrently. A positive and tenacious attitude are beneficial to thrive in a busy, yet rewarding environment. Media relations and pitching skills are important as Account Executives begin to build their contacts within the industry. Account Executives should have sound knowledge of digital communication channels, good creativity skills and be a strong team player.
- In line with clients’ objectives monitor media coverage, scan for accounts whilst looking for new PR opportunities and start to build relationships with journalists. Share and present findings to team and/or clients. Proactively monitor and flag trends or coverage from clients’ competitors, market or industry.
- Produce well written and high quality documents including media materials, competition copy, feature proposals, media invites, email pitches, presentations and advertorial copy.
- Assist in the development and implementation of creative communications, through participation in brainstorm sessions, support and encourage colleagues.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with colleagues, clients and contacts in the media, keeping all contact lists up-to-date. Communicate articulately, concisely and persuasively.
- Demonstrate event coordination skills; efficiently coordinating, liaising and negotiating with suppliers, managing and organising internal/external meetings/events, media packs, logistics, team diaries and travel requirements (flight/car/hotel bookings), whilst keeping teams and clients up-to-date.
- Implement and support sell-ins to achieve clients’ coverage aims.
- Acquire a broad knowledge and understanding of different communications and business disciplines. Continuously develop an understanding of Ketchum, Ketchum’s clients and their sectors, the media and the competitive environment.
- Professionally and promptly deal with client/media requests and enquiries. Operate where appropriate a pro-active press-office with an appreciation of both Ketchum’s and individual clients’ working methods, procedures and preferences.
- Participate in client satisfaction reviews; ensure positive follow-through of agreed actions.
- Efficiently plan, organise and support events and projects for your teams and/or clients.
- Accurately and promptly process personal and/or team accounts; invoices, purchase orders and expenses; ensuring all costs are charged accurately to the appropriate accounts.
- Submit all timesheets in a punctual and accurate manner.
- Keep in mind financial considerations, ensure clear briefs and terms and conditions are communicated when establishing budgets and researching costs. Work with suppliers and ensure that goods and services are delivered to the agreed time and quality specifications.
- Track event/team expenditure and report back to team and ensure projects keep to budget.
- Demonstrate an understanding of current business performance and future plans, focus efforts on business objectives and adding value.
- Coordinate ad hoc project work, research and writing, to support new business.
- Proactively as well as in order to support your teams, research information of interest to existing clients. Communicate findings to your team.
- Work cohesively and collaboratively with your team, proactively support and anticipate areas in need of assistance or improvement and act quickly and decisively to deal with potential problems. Show willingness to perform beyond assigned duties if requested.
- Take responsibility and ownership for the planning, organisation and implementation of tasks and projects, feeding back to line manager and team on progress.
- Maintain regular, up to date communication with your team. Provide input and coach Account Coordinators and work experience students within your teams.
- Work passionately, with a professional attitude, and uphold the highest standards of accuracy and quality at all times, even under pressure. Actively seek regular feedback to develop. Confidently and effectively plan and manage your own workload to meet deadlines and anticipate future activities.
- Participate in Ketchum’s PMS (Performance Management System) and complete all competency feedback forms on request for your colleagues.
- Conduct phone interviews, mentor and support work experience students, providing them with a well planned schedule of work and feedback to give a positive impression of Ketchum and PR.
- Attend team, practice group and office meetings, supporting activities and initiatives as appropriate.
Administration and Reporting:
- Produce accurate and timely contact, activity, WIP (Work in Progress), status, event, evaluation and coverage reports as well as media plans to keep teams and clients regularly updated.
- Proficiently organise and maintain day-to-day team support such as: maintaining catalogues and visual libraries, carrying out specific or general research, undertake ad hoc project work to support team, and produce coverage boards.
- Prepare examples of client work for inclusion in PR Industry award applications and support in creation of case studies.
- Demonstrate and maintain up-to-date knowledge and capability in all main software packages including Microsoft Office.